Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 large eggs (beaten lightly)
- 3/4 cup sugar (preferably castor)
- 1 ½ cups very ripe bananas (approx 4 bananas, mashed)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons (90 gms) butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 175C. Place rack in middle of oven.
- Prepare a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan by buttering and flouring the base and sides. You can add butter paper to that as well to prevent sticking.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Reserve 1/2 tablespoon flour and mix with the chocolate chips.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add mashed bananas, yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients together, just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. The batter will be thick and chunky.
- Combine the reserved flour with the chocolate chips and gently combine this into the batter
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth. Sprinkle on additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and let cool on rack. (Run a knife along the sides if the loaf seems to be stuck to the pan.)
- Serve warm or at room temperature